There is no other part in a home that experiences as much wear and tear as of a garage door because it opens and closes several times per day. But people often forget to maintain this part of the house, which is completely wrong. Because forgetting garage door maintenance will make your good day go bad, especially when you are getting late for work and it stops function properly or you find yourself stuck in the garage. A damaged garage door may not be able to open and close completely, due to which you lack safety in your house. Also, a damaged garage door will grab the attention of any passerby, thus will decrease your home’s value. Due to these reasons, garage door maintenance in San Diego will most likely be on one’s to-do list every year.
How Often do Garage Door Needs Maintenance?
A garage door needs to be serviced at least once a year. Timely maintenance will help you save a large amount of money that you have to spend for repairing or replacing its parts. Professional technicians extend the life of your garage door, thus call the technicians once or twice a year for preventive maintenance, which includes examining the spring, tightening the bolts, lubricating areas of the door, and cable inspection.
How to Maintenance a Garage Door
So, it’s vital for garage door owners to carry out regular care and maintenance to avoid any injury or damage as well as let the door last longer. Here, we’re discussing top tips on how to maintenance a garage door to let it run smoothly and keep it in tip-top condition.
- Check Out Door’s Working: First of all, listen to the opening and closing sounds of your garage door. Make sure the door is moving smoothly and quietly without rattling. It is the first step from which all maintenance begins. If any big issue found, you are advised to call the garage door repair specialist.
- Lubricate the Moving Elements: Garage doors generally stops functioning properly due to their complex moving parts. So, it is vital to lubricate the moving parts such as hinges and rollers on regular basis. Periodic lubrication helps reduce friction and prevents premature wearing off.
- Check the Balance: Correct balance is related to the durability of your garage door. An unbalanced door will reduce its lifespan. To check the balance, disconnect the opener by unlocking the handle and opening the door about half way. If door starts to close on its own, this indicates that the door spring is not properly balanced and need to be replaced by a technician.
- Tighten the Bolts Regularly: You used to open the garage door several times a day. Such loads and moments significantly loosen the structure. So, you are advised to check the brackets, bolts and other equipment on regular basis and tighten them if needed
- Check and Change the Rollers: Garage doors’ rollers should be checked at least twice a year. And if you open or close the door many times a day, then the rollers must be inspected even more often. If you find them cracked, worn or chipped, you are advised to replace them immediately.
- Inspect the Cables: Lift cables provide a relation between spring and gate, thus help in raising and lowering the door safely. So, you are advised to access the condition of cables and springs on regular basis and call the professional if any breakage or fault found.
No matter how old your garage door is and what material your gates are made of; never forget to maintain it on regular basis. By following these maintenance tips, you can save thousands of dollars; otherwise you have to replace the door. So, what are waiting for? Just try them today and keep your door in tip-top condition.